You may be covered for the cost of Attends incontinence products through an insurance plan, through a government program, through a flexible spending account (FSA) or through a health savings account (HSA).

Government Programs

There are government programs that provide reimbursement for qualified medical expenses:

  • On a local level –county offices that provide services to the aging
  • On a state level – Medicaid

The definition of a “qualified medical expense" varies, and the list of covered product categories can change from program to program, but they generally include adult incontinence supplies.

Expenses for incontinence products may be tax deductible if you can demonstrate that they are needed as a result of a specific medical condition. According to IRS guidelines, "You cannot include in medical expenses the amount you pay for diapers or diaper services, unless they are needed to relieve the effects of a particular disease."

It is always a good idea to have a letter from your doctor that addresses your medical need for incontinence products.

Insurance, HSAs, and FSAs

Through a health insurance plan, you submit receipts for the cost of Attends products, and the insurance provider may reimburse you. Both HSA and FSA accounts operate in a similar way; generally, you send receipts to a plan administrator and receive a reimbursement check.

Diaper Banks

Diaper banks are an exchange where diapers are donated by individuals, companies, and organizations. The bank then makes them available to people who need diapers but who cannot afford to purchase them. The diapers are available through nonprofit organizations, churches and synagogues, and school family resource centers.

Most diaper banks are focused on the needs of parents with newborns, but many include adult incontinence products. Find out more about a diaper bank near you.

Keep Your Receipts

No matter how you seek reimbursement for your incontinence supplies, be sure to keep all receipts.

Next: Attends products